Monday, October 17, 2011

Less than 2 weeks!

As I was sitting here catching up on AFV, I came to a realization... two weeks from today we will be in CHINA!! It's finally starting to get real.

Last night I unpacked my sweaters, they're now washed and ready to go. It's going to be cold while we're there! Not sure I'm ready for cold weather, but ready or not...

I've been making a list of souvenirs that I plan to get for friends and family... I think the list grows by the day. Reid caught a glimpse of my "people to buy for" list the other day and was a bit surprised. But I'm pretty proud of myself, I've managed to save a good chunk of change since the beginning of September. (You hear that Mom? I do know how to save!) I think I'm more excited about buying gifts for people while I'm there than I am buying my own souvenirs. I can't wait to peruse the jade, silk and pearl factories! And shop in the markets! I plan to bring home a knock-off bag or two as well.
One thing I do have my heart set on is a custom-made suit. Susan, my boss, had one made when she went to China in March. They actually come to your room with books of fabrics, buttons, patterns, threads, etc. They take your measurements and you pick out everything from the stitching, to where you want pockets, and what kind of buttons, and then have your custom made suit in your room the next night. Pretty sure I am going to be overwhelmed with all of the choices. She paid around $200 for her suit and says it's the best fitting suit she's ever had. That's a deal I just can't pass up!

Besides shopping I'm thrilled to experience the Chinese culture and visit some of their most famous monuments such as the Great Wall of China, Ming Tombs, Tien An Men Square, the temples and tea gardens. I promise we will bring home hundreds of pictures, and I'll post everything here so you can relive the experience with us.

I especially cannot wait to experience all of this with Reid... this will be his first international trip, and I know it will be one that we'll never forget! We are seriously considering getting him a Houston Rockets jersey... the Chinese are going to think he's a basketball star (which isn't any different than Americans, really) so why not have fun with it? ;) Speaking of, it's about time for my nightly call from off-shore... so that's all for now.

Less than two more weeks!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment